Turon or banana spring roll is a popular dessert or “afternoon snack” in the Philippines. It is made of sliced bananas, dusted with brown sugar, rolled in a spring roll wrapper and fried. Preferably, saba which is a type of banana locally grown in the Philippines, but a regular banana can be used as well. However the best substitute is to use plantain but making sure that it is very ripe for maximum sweetness. All these ingredients are available in any local grocery or any Asian store.
What you need:
3 ripe Bananas or plantains (sliced), will yield 10 turons
Spring roll wrapper
Half cup brown sugar or white sugar
Oil for frying
Vanilla ice cream (optional)
Here’s how to make:
- Slice bananas into large strips.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Wrap 2 strips in a spring roll.
- Dip the wrapped bananas in brown sugar.
- Fry until golden fry.
- Slice fried turin in a wedge.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and drizzle with caramel and chocolate sauce.